Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Candle Ice

Alas, when I checked the ice late this afternoon, it was too soft to walk on.  This morning my pole barely dented the ice when I whacked it - this afternoon it went through with little effort.  This is at the shoreline...I'm sure it is still solid further out. I just can't get there.
So, I'm a little sad that I can't walk on the lake anymore, and a little relieved.
 
This photo is a close-up of the candle ice from this morning.  The little round bits are about a quarter inch diameter. In the bigger pictures, this would be the 'black' ice.  Not all the ice on the lake has candled.  The pale ice is honeycombed, and stronger.
 
This afternoon the black ice within a hundred feet of land went white, as it finally melted away from shore and lifted.  It will go black again just before it's gone.
 
Warm days and south winds will have a big impact on the ice.  Still, there's no telling how long it will take. A week?  
The ice I walked on in the middle of the lake this morning was thick, and hard.  It's going to take some time.

No comments: