Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the far shore

This is where one of the major pressure cracks meets the far shore.  The ice I walked on to get there is well over a foot thick, and hard as ever...right up to the edge of the crack, and right up to the bedrock shoreline.  A skim of ice formed on the open water overnight, and was starting the crack again this morning. 
I will admit to more than a little adrenaline hitting my heart when a loud crack snapped right underfoot.  The fear only lasted a moment, because there is no way the ice can break right now. 
In some of the ice art photos below you can see these hairline cracks.  As I walk across the ice, I am fascinated by the various textures, and reassured by the depth of the cracks...which continuously assure me that the ice is more than 8 inches thick.

No comments: